While most large corporations understand the importance of investing in robust cybersecurity measures, small and medium-sized businesses (SMBs) often wonder whether the expense is truly worth it. After all, what would a cybercriminal want with your company’s data? The truth is, however, that smaller businesses are often a more attractive target to potential criminals because their defenses are often far weaker than their corporate counterparts. To make matters worse, a single ransomware attack can be enough to cripple a SMB and if you don’t have defenses in place, you could be inviting disaster. Luckily, there are a number of proactive steps you can take to ensure that your company’s sensitive data is protected. Learn more, below.
Cybersecurity Tips for SMBs
While there’s no way to make yourself completely immune to cyberthreats, implementing robust security measures will go a long way in making your business a less attractive target to criminals.
- Regularly backup your data and store a copy off-site. Ransomware is one of the most common cyberthreats and results in a criminal threatning to delete your company’s sensitive data unless a ransom is paid. By regularly backing up your data and keeping a copy off-premise, you won’t have to pay a ransom to get back your data. Instead, you can simply wipe the infected computers and restore the latest backup.
- Create and enforce company-wide password rules. Strong passwords are an easy way to improve your company’s security. Ensure that your employees are using complex passwords and outline how often they should be changed.
- Encrypt all confidential data. Strong encryption will provide your first line of defense against cybercriminals.
- Train employees on cybersecurity measures. From avoiding phishing scams to defending against social engineering, it’s important to equip your employees with the knowledge they need to protect themselves (and your business) against cyberthreats.
- Protect your data behind a firewall. Be sure that your firewall prevents unauthorized access so that visitors can’t access sensitive information.
HOWARD TECH ADVISORS: YOUR PARTNER IN TECH
At Howard Tech Advisors, we manage your IT infrastructure so that you don’t have to. Whether you need assistance creating a disaster recovery plan or you’d like to outsource your IT needs, we can help! Keep up with our weekly blog to stay up-to-date on the latest tech trends, security information you need to know to stay safe online, and tips and tricks to effectively navigating an increasingly mobile world.